We recommend that you take time to check if the lighting solution at
your workplace could be changed to improve your working situation.
Our sight accounts for 80% of all human perception, and for that reason it is easy to understand the importance of correct lighting. The lighting has a much larger impact upon the working environment than you realise. Health, working effectiveness and other factors are affected.
You can do the following exercise:
- Sit in your chair and look around. Is something dazzling you? It could be sunlight from the window or reflections from other light sources in the vicinity.
- Shade your eyes with your hand, or put on a cap. Are you experiencing any difference? If the cover is giving you a comfortable feeling, you are most likely being exposed to direct or indirect glare from overhead light sources.
- Place a mirror or a shiny sheet in front of or on the surface you look at most. Look for reflections at your own workstation. If you see any light sources in the mirror, you are at risk of being exposed to reflections.
The consequences of incorrect lighting giving reflections and glare:
- Our body compensates for poor light and vision condition
- We adopt a poor posture to see well
- We get sore eyes, headaches, and strain in the neck, shoulders and back