In our laboratories and dust chambers we assess the protection of our luminaires against ingress of solid particles, varying over differing degrees of protection, depending upon the requirements for the different types of lighting product.
Solid objects protection
There are six levels of protection against the ingress of solid foreign objects, represented by the first digit in the two-digit IP rating of a product.
- >50mm: Any large surface of the body, such as the back of a hand, but no protection against deliberate contact with a body part
- >12.5 mm: Fingers or similar objects
- >2.5 mm: Tools, thick wires, etc.
- >1mm: Most wires, screws, etc.
- Dust protected: Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment; complete protection against contact
- Dust tight: No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact
The dust test chamber
Dust tests are performed to test the functioning of our luminaires under extreme environmental conditions. International standards specify the test duration and the composition of dust used. The formation of dust within the test space is effected by compressed air injection. The dust is blown and swirled in the chamber by intensive air movement.